How To Care For & Use Your Soy Candles
Beautiful soy candles enhance the places we live and celebrate in. They bring an ambiance only they can. For you to enjoy the very best of what your new soy candle has to offer we’ve got some tips for you. And if you’re looking down this page thinking… “I don’t have time to read all of that info”… then perhaps come back later and at the very least be sure to read the instructions on the base of your candle before you use it. Let’s get started…
11 ‘Caring For Your Soy Candle’ Tips
- Always burn your soy candles for at least 1 hour at a time (commit to your candle). This helps to prevent tunnelling. The first time you light your soy candle always let the wax melt all the way to the edge of the vessel.
- Do not burn your soy candles for longer than 3 hours at a time (have second one on hand to pop out).
- Don’t burn soy candles all the way down to the bottom. Stop using the candle when 1cm of wax remains in the bottom. Burning to the bottom may cause the container to break and other damage.
- Space candles apart while lit to prevent uneven burning.
- Always burn soy candles on a surface that is heat proof.
- Burn your soy candles in a draft free area clear of curtains, books, baskets, clothing, vents and ceiling fans etc.
- Keep soy candles out of direct sunlight and away from heat sources.
- Allow soy candles to cool and harden before relighting them (even candles need a rest).
- Store candles in a cool dry place. Definitely not in the freezer or a hot car.
- Soy candles can be cleaned by washing them gently in cool water (nice little secret that one). Allow to air dry before use.
- Keep the burn pool clean (no half used matches please).
Caring For The Wick
- Before each use, trim your wick to 5-6mm in length and make sure it’s upright. If your wick is too long it will create black smoke, wick mushrooming and the candle will burn too quickly (insert shock expression). Avoid cutting the wick too short as this will create problems with burning and create the dreaded candle tunnel (all you candle lovers know what I mean).
- Before relighting your candle always trim the mushroom or little ball off the top of the wick to keep your candle burning gently. (Wick trimmers are awesome to catch that little black bit)
- Cut the wick only when the wax has hardened.
- To prep your candle for the next burn extinguish it by dunking the wick into it’s own pool of wax using a wick dipper, pencil or similar.
Soy Candle Troubleshooting
- Is your wax collecting on one side of the jar, creating an uneven burn? If yes, then adjust your wick back to the centre of the jar or lean it closer to the side that needs more heat (please don’t use your fingers).
- Cotton wicks will mushroom, this is a natural character of the wick, always remove the mushroom before and during burning if burning for prolonged periods.
- If you get any black at the rim of your glass simply wipe it away with a damp cloth, this may be a sign that your wick is too long (are you trimming your wick?).
Hope these tips bring you more candle joy. Enjoy!
The Lemon Canaries xo
You Might Also Like This…
- The Joy Of Soy… 16 Reasons Why We Love Soy Candles (The healthy non-toxic option… learn more about it)
- Top 7 Candle Safety Tips (Hope you find this info helpful)